Google+ » Family Based Petitions Law Office of Irwin M. Avelino

Family Based Petitions

Real Life Examples

Because the laws and procedures in obtaining permanent residency for your family members are so complex, I think it may be very helpful to you if I illustrate the process by way of real-life examples.

Disclaimer. The following is intended only to give you a general idea of the topic.  It is NOT intended to be legal advice. Everyone’s goals and situations are unique. Please consult an attorney to determine which method is best for your specific goals.

Requirements and Procedures for helping your Relatives Obtain Permanent Residency

In general, a Filipino who wishes to immigrate to the United States must have an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for an immigrant visa.

This I-130, Petition for Alien Relative is filed either by a relative who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident at a USCIS office in the United States. However, U.S. citizens residing in the Philippines may file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative by going to the Customer Service window on a walk-in basis at the USCIS Manila Field Office located in the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

An individual with an approved I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and a priority date that is current for processing is eligible to apply for an immigrant visa.

Related Articles: